SAP License Management Challenges and Opportunities
Learn how you can leverage recent SAP licensing changes to optimize costs for SAP software.
FlexNet Manager for SAP Applications
Automated License Management and License Optimization for SAP Applications
FlexNet Manager for SAP® Applications is a scalable SAP Software License Optimization solution that is built on the FlexNet Manager Platform. It optimizes SAP named user licenses by detecting idle users, identifying duplicate users, and assigning the optimal license type for each user based on an analysis of real usage data.
SAP applications are among the most highly valued and widely used in many organizations and optimized SAP license management is critical. Without precise knowledge of how SAP systems are licensed and being used, organizations risk costly and unplanned expenses after submitting the required License Administration Workbench (LAW) report to SAP. FlexNet Manager for SAP® Applications delivers the most comprehensive and accurate insights into SAP named user and package licensing, ensuring optimal SAP licensing, and controlling ongoing costs for SAP software. Additionally, the product dramatically reduces the amount of manual effort and time required to manage SAP software licenses.
Leverages FlexNet Manager Platform to Provide Visibility and Control
- Provides scalable hardware and software asset management across more than 16,000 publishers and 165,000 applications, providing insight into installed software and application usage
- Provides connectivity to HR, Active Directory, procurement, ERP and other systems for user, computer, purchasing and organizational data
- Leverages the extensive contract management, business intelligence, and advanced reporting capabilities of the Platform for SAP license management
SAP Software License Optimization Reduces On-going Software Costs
- Recommends the optimal license classification (Developer, Professional, Limited Professional, Employee Self Service, etc.) for each SAP user based on real usage data
- More accurately assign user license types in accordance with your SAP contract
- Avoid buying too many high cost license types when lower cost licenses will meet user needs
- Adhere to contract terms that specify a minimum ratio of Professional to Limited Professional User Licenses
- Detects inactive users that should be retired, returning those licenses to the available license pool
- Accurately identifies and consolidates duplicate users
- Enables accurate charge back of software expenses internally based on actual use
In the example shown below, we see that the number of high cost license types, such as Professional User and Limited Professional User are significantly lower in the optimized state, while the least expensive license types, such as Time Card Users (CAT) are higher.
Ensure Compliance with Your SAP Contract to Minimize Audit Risk and Avoid Unbudgeted True-up Expenses
- Offers a flexible framework that allows you to construct appropriate license rules for your organization in accordance with your SAP contract
- Uses common techniques to differentiate the SAP license classifications, such as Professional and Limited Professional users:
- Role memberships
- Usage—this often identifies the percentage of “operational” activity versus “self-service” activity for a given user
- Automates the process of collecting and analyzing all of the usage data to determine an optimal license type for each user
- Manages and optimizes indirect access to SAP systems
Package License Support Eases SAP License Management
- Runs package (aka engine) measurements independently of a system measurement, allowing collection of package metrics at any time
- Uses licensing rules to define how metrics are combined to determine a single license consumption figure for each SAP package
- SAP package licensing rules and metrics are encapsulated in the FlexNet Manager for SAP Applications Product Use Rights Library to streamline the process of calculating SAP package license consumption, reducing true-up preparation time
Simulate 'What If' Scenarios to Proactively Manage Your SAP Estate
- Simulates "What If" scenarios, including best-case and worst-case
- Uses user defined rule sets to drive the simulations
- Predicts the cost impact of adding users or changing user license classifications
SAP Administration Console Provides a Single Point of Control
- Allows SAP administrators to review and commit recommended changes to their SAP systems using a familiar SAP interface
- Offers a single point of control for administration functions across all SAP systems, such as running system measurements and activity checks
FlexNet Manager for SAP Applications allows organizations to more effectively "use what they have and only buy what they need." Learn more about the other products in the FlexNet Manager Suite for Enterprises.
* SAP and SAP Business Suite are registered trademarks of SAP AG in Germany and in several other countries.
Proud Associate Member of
Proud Member of
SAP License Management Challenges and Opportunities
Fortune 500 Company
Learn how this company gained control of SAP license management and spend.