Schaumburg, IL - Feb 22, 2011 - Flexera Software, the leading provider of strategic Application Usage Management solutions for application producers and their customers, today announced the launch of AdminStudio Suite 10. The new release, optimally priced for enterprises of all sizes, is the industry's first comprehensive Application Readiness solution enabling organizations to strategically manage application packaging and remediation across their entire software estate, mitigating Windows 7 and application virtualization migration risks.
"The evolution - from application packaging as a means to better manage costs in a static technology world, to application management as a means to better manage quality and compatibility in a dynamic technology world - is a game changer" said Chris Jackson, a principal consultant at Microsoft (better known as 'The App Compat Guy'). "It allows organizations to see beyond their current state and regain their technology agility."
With as many as 35% of an enterprise's applications requiring updates in any given year, coupled with the explosive growth in Windows 7 migrations and virtualization initiatives, compatibility assessment, remediation and packaging processes are now of strategic importance to IT organizations. AdminStudio delivers application packaging efficiencies as much as nine times greater compared to manual efforts.
- AdminStudio 10 now lets users centrally manage and report on the virtual and traditional application portfolio for an overall view of the application estate's readiness for each format.
- A new, unified "application-centric" application catalog manages all deployment types for an application, enabling all packages, including virtual packages, to be handled with the same process and tools as those used for MSIs, eliminating the cost and complexity of having multiple solutions and repositories.
- Moreover, AdminStudio 10 is now powered by the latest version of the world's leading MSI authoring and editing tool, InstallShield® 2011, giving users complete flexibility in editing packages using the same installation preparation tool relied on by more than 71,000 ISVs worldwide.
"Most organizations do not have adequate visibility into their application portfolio to reliably understand the time, cost and resources required to successfully migrate their applications," said Maureen Polte, senior director of product management at Flexera Software. "AdminStudio 10 delivers continual readiness via a repeatable, reliable process to prepare and package MSI and virtual applications for Windows 7 migrations or day-to-day upgrades, drastically reducing the cost, labor and risk associated with application migrations."
AdminStudio Application Compatibility Pack
Now available as part of AdminStudio Suite is the new AdminStudio Application Compatibility Pack.
- AdminStudio Application Compatibility Pack automatically assesses all applications to accurately calculate the effort and cost of the migration project.
- It also pinpoints and fixes application compatibility issues for desktop, server and web-based applications. As a result, packagers can test applications in minutes instead of weeks and obtain an overall view of the compatibility of all applications, including which ones require fixing for deployment on Windows 7 or Internet Explorer 8.
- Moreover, for applications that do require remediation, AdminStudio Application Compatibility Pack generates a standard MSI transform, automatically fixing in a matter of minutes 98% of installation package-related Windows 7 compatibility issues. This drastically reduces overall costs by removing the need for skilled packaging and support resources and manual efforts.
Significantly, like all products in AdminStudio Suite, AdminStudio Application Compatibility Pack utilizes a perpetual, per administrator license, making it optimally priced and packaged for all enterprises, including small and midsized businesses.
"The biggest challenge with migrating to a new version of Windows is the applications. Organizations have had trouble cost-justifying commercial application compatibility products priced on a per-application basis, and most large organizations have hundreds or thousands of applications (the rule of thumb is one application for every 10 users)", said Terry Cosgrove, Principal Research Analyst at Gartner.
"Seamlessly integrated application compatibility testing and remediation should be part of the DNA of any robust Application Readiness process," says Polte. "Unlike point solutions priced on the number of applications, which are often prohibitively expensive and discourage use as part of a continual Application Readiness strategy, AdminStudio Application Compatibility Pack is unique in its integration into a comprehensive, affordable suite and in its predictable cost, encouraging unlimited use and adoption of industry best practices."
AdminStudio Virtualization Pack
Today's launch also includes enhancements to AdminStudio Virtualization Pack, which prepares reliable virtual applications for deployment with a complete set of suitability testing, automated conversion, validation, editing and management reporting capabilities.
- Enhanced validation and conflict testing of Microsoft® App-V packages supports packagers in managing both MSI and App-V with the same tool and processes to ensure a consistent, unified approach.
- Packagers can also directly edit App-V packages, saving significant time and effort by eliminating the need to re-convert from an MSI when a change to an App-V package is required.
- AdminStudio Virtualization Pack's enhancements also include robust suitability testing - removing the trial and error approach to determining if applications can be virtualized. This along with customizable reports and dashboards provides essential decision support for choosing the appropriate delivery/deployment technology via continuous reporting on the application estate's readiness for each format.
"AdminStudio is a life saver for us. It gets the job done," said Brandon Farmer, systems engineer at United States Marine Corps Intelligence Activity. "We're constantly juggling multiple packaging projects on very limited resources, such as our recent migration from Windows XP to Windows 7 - and we don't have time to waste doing things manually, or trying to cobble together a patchwork of freeware and tactical tools that don't hit the mark. We just virtualized Microsoft Word 2003 using AdminStudio, and it took me a half hour - compared to the days it would have otherwise taken."
"Flexera Software continues to deliver solutions that help automate our customers' adoption of Windows 7 and App-V," said Karri Alexion-Tiernan, director of product management at Microsoft Corp. "AdminStudio 10 provides benefits beyond one-time conversion, allowing customers the flexibility to create and manage both App-V and MSI packages."
Join the Flexera Software Webinar entitled "What's New in AdminStudio 10" on Thursday, February 24 at 12:30 p.m. Eastern Time. Those interested in attending can register here.
Learn more about Flexera Software AdminStudio Suite
Learn More about AdminStudio Virtualization Pack
Learn More about AdminStudio Application Compatibility Pack
Background on Windows 7 Migration
Strategies for application virtualization
Related Flexera Software Webinars
AdminStudio White Papers
Follow Flexera Software…
About Flexera Software
Flexera Software helps application producers and enterprises increase application usage and security, enhancing the value they derive from their software. Our software licensing, compliance, cybersecurity and installation solutions are essential to ensure continuous licensing compliance, optimized software investments, and to future-proof businesses against the risks and costs of constantly changing technology. A marketplace leader for more than 25 years, 80,000+ customers turn to Flexera Software as a trusted and neutral source of knowledge and expertise, and for the automation and intelligence designed into our products. For more information, please go to: www.flexerasoftware.com
For more information, contact:
*All third-party trademarks are the property of their respective owners.