Software License Optimization = Software Savings & Reduced Compliance Risk
Whether you're an enterprise, government body or educational institution, you know how strategic software applications have become. They no longer just help the business, they run the business. Yet, surprisingly, software licenses and application usage are managed tactically at best by most organizations. Lacking a strategic solution for Software Asset Management and Software License Optimization, most organizations are significantly overspending on some licenses and out of compliance on others, putting them at risk of costly software audits.
FlexNet Manager Suite for Enterprises is a comprehensive, proven, next generation hardware asset management, software asset management, license compliance and software license optimization solution. The Suite provides entitlement based license management and software license optimization to enable organizations to reduce ongoing software licensing costs and maintain continuous license compliance. It is used by thousands of enterprises to gain control of and optimize software spend while reducing the time and effort required to manage the software estate.
FlexNet Manager Platform
The foundation of the FlexNet Manager Suite is FlexNet Manager Platform that provides extensive hardware and software asset management (HAM and SAM) capabilities for managing desktop, laptop and server hardware, and software from more than 18,333 vendors. FlexNet Manger Platform also provides automated, entitlement based Software License Optimization for desktop software from vendors including Adobe, Microsoft and Symantec. The Platform also serves as the foundation for integrated, add-on server license optimization products included in the FlexNet Manager Suite for Enterprises.
Key Platform functionality includes:
IT Asset Discovery & Inventory:
- Provides cross-platform desktop to datacenter (Windows, Linux, UNIX, and MAC OS), physical and virtual machine discovery, inventory, and application usage data collection
- Leverages existing IT investments via integration with a multitude of third-party standard inventory sources
Software Inventory Normalization
- Applies consistent naming conventions for software publishers and titles to ensure accurate counts
- Enables organizations to ‘know what they have’ in their IT environment and consolidate vendors and applications
Purchased Versus Installed/Consumed License Reconciliation:
- Reconciles software purchases against software installed or used on computers and virtual machines within the enterprise
- Enables organizations to maintain license compliance to reduce audit cost and risk
License Optimization for Desktop Software:
- Automatically applies license entitlements—product use rights, to optimize license consumption for desktop applications based on contractual agreements. Use rights include: upgrade, downgrade, right of second use, multiple use, and roaming use, among others. Product use rights for key vendors such as Adobe, Microsoft, and Symantec are encapsulated in a Product Use Rights Library.
- Enables organizations to minimize license consumption and reduce desktop software costs
Management Dashboard and Reporting:
- Provides an intuitive management dashboard enabling an administrator to understand the current license position, receive alerts on issues, and review key events such as data imports
- A compliance overview report summarizes an organization’s exposure, such as its financial liability and the number of licenses in breach per publisher
- Drill downs provide deeper information for any vendor products and the licenses attached to those products
FlexNet Manager Suite Server License Optimization Solutions
FlexNet Manager Suite includes next generation software asset management and license optimization solutions that analyze inventory, application usage, purchase order data, license entitlements, and contract terms to optimize license consumption for server software. By automating the process of optimizing software license management for key vendors, the FlexNet Manager Suite products enable organizations to save on license purchases, audits, renewals, and annual true-ups, while reducing time and effort.
- FlexNet Manager for IBM, FlexNet Manager for Microsoft, FlexNet Manager for Oracle, FlexNet Manager for SAP Applications, FlexNet Manager for Symantec, and FlexNet Manager for VMware are integrated solutions built on top of FlexNet Manager Platform that enable enterprise-wide, automated license optimization for server software from these high value vendors.
- FlexNet Manager for Engineering Applications is a standalone product that enables license optimization for engineering applications that use a concurrent license model, for thousands of vendors such as Autodesk, Cadence Design Systems and The Mathworks, to name only a few.
- FlexNet Manager for Cloud Infrastructure provides enterprises with comprehensive, accurate, and actionable insight into cloud infrastructure usage to optimize use and spend on these services.
These optimization solutions enable organizations to implement multiple software license management and contract optimization strategies that save time, help ensure continuous license compliance and reduce costs by:
- Applying license entitlements—product use rights, to optimize license consumption based on contractual agreements. Use rights include: upgrade, downgrade, right of second use, multiple use, roaming use, virtual use, and license mobility, among others. Product use rights for key vendors such as Adobe, IBM, Microsoft, Oracle, SAP, Symantec and VMware are encapsulated in a Product Use Rights Library.
- Utilizing license prioritization to drive intelligent allocation and minimize license consumption
- Tracking detailed usage of SAP software to automatically determine the optimal Named User License type for each user
- Optimizing the license count and application mix for engineering applications that use a concurrent license model
- Analyzing cloud usage trends for better budgeting and forecasting, improving efficiency, optimization of instance types, and reducing expenditures on cloud services
FlexNet Manager Suite provides the breadth and depth of asset management capabilities that allow your organization to achieve 'quick wins' and build the credibility of your software asset management program. The Suite enables organizations to automate software asset management processes to reduce time and effort required when dealing with software audits, Enterprise Agreement (EA) true-ups and contract renewals. It also allows organization to realize the highest return on their SAM program and software portfolio investments.
Workflow Manager integrates with FlexNet Manager Suite and allows organizations to implement best practice software asset management workflow processes that improve accuracy and accountability. It automates workflow tasks, increasing operational efficiency and improving IT service levels to the organization.
Comprehensive Enterprise Solutions
FlexNet Manager Suite integrates with Flexera Software App Portal, our industry-leading enterprise app store solution, and Flexera Software AdminStudio, which provides comprehensive functionality for preparing and packaging applications for reliable deployment. With this integration, you can create highly automated, end-to-end processes that help you to keep applications in a state of readiness for deployment into a variety of environments; make applications easily and immediately available to employees; and effectively manage software licenses to ensure continuous license compliance while optimizing software usage and minimizing spend.
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager from Flexera Software can leverage FlexNet Manager Suite’s knowledge of your environment to automatically build and maintain the list of software that needs to be monitored for vulnerabilities.
FlexNet Manager Suite also integrates with many existing IT systems, including configuration management and inventory tools such as Microsoft SCCM, Symantec (formerly Altiris), BMC Discovery (formerly ADDM), IBM BigFix Inventory, HPE DDMI, etc., to allow importing of inventory and usage data, leveraging your prior investments.
FlexNet Manager Suite is integrated with industry leading IT Service Management (ITSM) solutions from companies such as BMC and ServiceNow. This integration enhances ITSM processes such as Change, Problem, Request and Capacity Management.
FlexNet Manager Suite is available through three delivery models:
- On-premises—In this model the software is controlled and managed by your organization’s IT department within your own datacenter. A perpetual license purchase of the on-premises software is usually considered a capital expense that can provide a better return on investment over time.
- Cloud—With this model, the product is installed in the Flexera Software datacenter and is delivered as a Software as a Service (SaaS) solution. The associated subscription licensing model is typically considered an operating expense. With lower upfront costs and accelerated deployment of the application, the SaaS model offers a shorter time to value. Additionally, there are no scalability or architectural issues for you to consider. Cloud delivery also means that your mobile workforce can connect to the application from anywhere, on any device with a web browser. (Note: all products in the Suite are available via Cloud delivery except FlexNet Manager for Engineering Applications and FlexNet Manager for Cloud Infrastructure).
- Managed Service— Managed Service Providers (MSP) can provide SAM and Software License Optimization services based on FlexNet Manager Suite via a hosted model (where the software is installed in the partner’s datacenter) or the new on-demand model. In this case you are essentially outsourcing the software asset management and license optimization function. This can be a good option if your organization is resource constrained as you can leverage the license management staff and expertise of the MSP.
Regardless of your organization's level of software asset management and license optimization maturity, FlexNet Manager Suite for Enterprises provides the solution to get you to the next level and realize the benefits of your SAM program:
- Visibility and control of the hardware and software assets throughout your IT environment
- Reduced license and maintenance costs (5-25% savings per year can be achieved)
- Reduced license compliance risk and unbudgeted costs associated with software audits
- Increased operational efficiency
Learn more about the offerings included in FlexNet Manager Suite below.
FlexNet Manager Suite for Enterprises Products
Client and Server Normalized Inventory Solutions
FlexNet Normalized Inventory for Clients enables enterprises to gain visibility and control of their IT estate by providing a comprehensive inventory of deployed desktop and laptop hardware and associated software assets.
FlexNet Normalized Inventory for Servers enables enterprises to gain visibility and control of their IT estate by providing a comprehensive inventory of deployed physical and virtual server hardware and associated software assets.
Desktop License Optimization
FlexNet Manager Platform is a scalable Software License Optimization product that includes both hardware and software asset management (HAM & SAM) across more than 18,333 publishers and 181,927 applications. It automates entitlement based software license management and optimization to enable the reduction of license, maintenance and audit costs for desktop software, while maintaining license compliance.
Server License Optimization
FlexNet Manager for IBM is a scalable IBM license compliance and Software License Optimization solution that is built on the FlexNet Manager Platform. This product automates and optimizes entitlement based software license management to enable the reduction of license, maintenance and audit costs for IBM server software, while maintaining license compliance.
FlexNet Manager for Microsoft is a scalable Microsoft® license compliance and Software License Optimization solution that is built on the FlexNet Manager Platform. This Microsoft license manager product automates and optimizes entitlement based software license management to enable the reduction of license, maintenance and audit costs for Microsoft server software, as well as SaaS applications such as Microsoft Office 365®, while maintaining license compliance.
FlexNet Manager for Oracle is a scalable Oracle license compliance and Software License Optimization solution that is built on the FlexNet Manager Platform. FlexNet Manager for Oracle automates and optimizes license management to enable the reduction of license, maintenance and audit costs for Oracle software, while maintaining license compliance.
FlexNet Manager for SAP® Applications is a scalable SAP license compliance and Software License Optimization solution that is built on the FlexNet Manager Platform. It optimizes SAP named user licenses by detecting idle users, identifying duplicate users, and assigning the optimal license type for each user based on an analysis of real usage data.
FlexNet Manager for Symantec is a scalable Symantec license compliance and Software License Optimization solution that is built on the FlexNet Manager Platform. This product automates entitlement based Symantec software license management to enable the reduction of license, maintenance and audit costs for Symantec server software, while maintaining license compliance.
FlexNet Manager for VMware is a scalable VMware license compliance and Software License Optimization solution that is built on the FlexNet Manager Platform. This VMware license optimization product automates and optimizes entitlement based software license management to enable the reduction of license, maintenance and audit costs for VMware server software, while maintaining license compliance.
Cloud Cost and Usage Management
FlexNet Manager for Cloud Infrastructure provides enterprises with comprehensive, accurate, and actionable insight into cloud infrastructure usage to optimize use and spend on these services.
Concurrent License Optimization and License Server Management
FlexNet Manager for Engineering Applications centrally administers FlexNet Publisher (formerly FlexLM) license servers, and reports concurrent license usage across many license management solutions (FlexNet, LUM, Reprise, Sentinel, etc.). It enables organizations to efficiently manage high spend technical applications to reduce licensing costs, improve productivity and more accurately forecast future software needs.
Business Process Management
Workflow Manager, our workflow management software, helps enterprises efficiently manage the Application Readiness and Software License Optimization processes to streamline the procurement, preparation, deployment, and ongoing management of applications. Workflow Manager maximizes productivity of the IT team by automating change management, asset management, and other ITIL processes as part of the enterprise application lifecycle.