Product Use Rights Library
FlexNet Manager for Symantec includes a Product Use Rights Library for Symantec that enables it to determine an accurate license position and optimize license consumption. Product Use Rights vary depending on the type of software license agreement used to buy the software (e.g. Cumulative License Program) and even depend on the specific software product. When creating new licenses from purchase order SKU data, the product use rights are applied automatically, which minimizes the amount of effort required to model entitlements in FlexNet Manager for Symantec. These rights include:
- Upgrade—the right to use the latest version of the software as soon as it becomes available. (A Software Assurance benefit).
- Downgrade—the right to use an older version of the software than the version purchased.
- Right of second use (aka portable use)—the right to use the software on both a desktop and a laptop with the same owner and only consume one license.
- Multiple versions—the right to have multiple versions of the same application installed on one device and only consume one license.
- Virtual environment use rights—the rights associated with running the software on a virtual machine, virtual desktop or as a virtualized application.
‘What If’ Analysis
Simulation capability is provided for Symantec server based licenses allowing customers to perform What If analysis to understand the licensing implications of a change to their IT environment. What If Analysis provides information on the financial impact of the change from a software licensing perspective and enables the calculation of a new Symantec license position considering:
- Hardware change
- Shared processor pool settings changes or the addition or removal of shared processor pools
- Virtual Machine (VM) property changes
- A change of physical host for virtual machines
- Addition or removal of software installations
License Change Review
This feature analyzes differences between Flexera Software content libraries—particularly the Product Use Rights Library, and existing software licenses. Recommendations such as applying product use rights templates and adding applications to the license record are made so that the license repository can be kept up to date.
- Changes to software vendors’ product use rights are incorporated in the library via monthly updates and can be automatically applied to existing licenses
- An opt out option is available for these changes if there are specific (non-standard) product use rights in contracts with a publisher
- Automatically benefit from improvements in the Flexera Software libraries, e.g. new links between Stock Keeping Units (SKUs) and applications in the Application Recognition Library, new SKUs with associated product use rights, etc., that may impact existing licenses
License Change Review ensures that your license compliance position is always accurate and optimized.