As some software producers benefit and others fail to keep up, a market shake up is possible
Itasca, IL - Jul 26, 2016 - The enterprise software marketplace is undergoing a massive transformation as the pricing and licensing models dictating how software is bought and sold evolve. Fueled in part by shifts in customer demand and in part by rapidly changing technology, some application producers are poised to reap windfall profits from the new software pricing and licensing models emerging, while others risk being left behind. This is the conclusion of a new report published by Software Monetization expert, Flexera Software. Among the report’s findings:
- Perpetual Decline: Only 43 percent of producers say perpetual software licenses contribute to half or more of their revenues. Historically, the perpetual license was the dominant licensing model used by most software vendors.
- Shifting Foundations: 70 percent of producers will change their pricing and licensing models within the next two years. The reasons? To generate more revenues, be more competitive and improve customer relations.
- No Installation Required: 36 percent of producers say that less than half of their applications are delivered as traditional installed software.
- Change Ready: Within the next two years producers plan on changing their licensing policies to accommodate new technologies like:
- Cloud (49 Percent)
- SaaS (46 percent)
- Virtualization (47 percent)
- Mobile Platforms (55 percent)
- Bliss or Ignorance? 73 percent of producers boast their pricing and licensing policies are effective. Yet despite this confidence, 51 percent of those surveyed admitted they don’t track customer usage, 45 percent don’t audit customer usage, 55 percent don’t have technology in place to track customer usage of their products, and 42 percent say their customers have challenges determining which software products they’re entitled to use.
“Enterprises are rapidly redefining how they want to license and pay for business software. Moreover, technology is shifting so rapidly it is rendering old pricing and licensing models obsolete,” said R “Ray" Wang, Principal Analyst & Founder at Constellation Research. “Smart software producers are being proactive, viewing this dramatic shift as an opportunity to offer more flexible monetization models, capture market share and new revenue streams. Producers that fail to act risk being left behind.”
“The report illustrates the fluidity of the software market place and the rapidly changing customer preferences dictating how software is bought and sold,” said Steve Schmidt, Vice President of Corporate Development at Flexera Software. “To thrive in this environment producers must adopt an agile Software Monetization strategy and implement automation that flexibly supports multiple software pricing and licensing models. As the data suggests, many producers are not yet ‘change-ready,’ and therefore are at risk.”
# # #
Access the report: Software Licensing 2016: Seismic Shifts – Shaky Foundations Report
Learn more about Flexera Software’s:
- Software Monetization Solutions
- Software License Optimization Solutions
- Application Readiness Solutions
- Software Vulnerability Management Solutions
- Installation Solutions
- Related Flexera Software Webinars
- Related Flexera Software White Papers
Flexera is reimagining the way software is bought, sold, managed and secured. We view the software industry as a supply chain, and make the business of buying and selling software more transparent, secure, and effective. Our Monetization and Security solutions help software sellers transform their business models, grow recurring revenues and minimize open source risk. Our Vulnerability and Software Asset Management (SAM) solutions strip waste and unpredictability out of buying applications, helping companies purchase only the software and cloud services they need, manage what they have, and reduce license compliance and security risk. In business for 30+ years, our 1000+ employees are passionate about helping our 80,000+ customers generate millions in ROI every year. Visit us at www.flexera.com.
About this Report
The 2016 Key Trends in Software Pricing and Licensing survey was conducted by Flexera Software. This annual research project looks at software licensing, pricing and enforcement trends and best practices. The survey reaches out to executives at application producers (software vendors and intelligent device manufacturers) and enterprises who use and manage software and devices. Now in its tenth year, the survey is made available to the industry at large each year.
For more information, contact:
*All third-party trademarks are the property of their respective owners.